The Barn mentioned as ‘newly erected’ in the 1655 will of Sir Francis Nethersole, Lord of the Manor of Polesworth, was used to store the goods paid as a local tax by the manor tenants. It was believed to stand on the earlier foundations of the monastic barn belonging to the Benedictine Abbey. From Sir Francis’ death in 1659 until the abolition of the tithe system of taxation, the Polesworth tithes were used to pay the vicar and finance the Nethersole schools by the Nethersole Trustees.
The Barn was included in the sale catalogue when most of the village was offered for sale by Sir George Chetwynd in 1912. Fortunately for future generations, the importance of the Hall Court area to the whole of the village was recognised by a group of village gentlemen, Mr. Charles Baxter, Dr. Bond, Canon Trotter, and Colonel Fowler who together with Edies’ Brewery formed a consortium and purchased the area before the auction.
The Barn then appears to have served a variety of purposes from housing evacuated families in the 1940’s, a stable, a builders store and a base for personnel involved in environmental work before eventually failing prey to the problems of old age and being listed as a ‘dangerous building’ in the 1980’s.
Following extension renovation and restoration work the Barn reopened in 1995 as the Polesworth Enterprise Centre with a function room, kitchen and computer training area. The Barn is owned by Polesworth Parish Council and now houses their Parish Office. The function room is used by many local groups and serves the needs of the community.